The Abbot's Porch, one of the remnants of what was a once grand monastery. Cerne Abbey was founded in 937 in the village of Cerne Abbas. As with virtually every monastery in england it was closed in Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539.
The Abbot's porch with it's distinctive double oriel window was built at the beginning of the 16th century.
The Abbey is open to the public most of the time but is located on private land belonging to the the Abbey House, part of which was formerly the south gate.
Just behind the abbey is Cerne Abbas' most famous resident - the Giant